31090051

I am a Golf course manager at a private members club in the

Customer Question

I am a Golf course manager at a private members club in the Lothians.Two or three of our members have been on social media (twitter/facebook) to complain about the 'state' of our greens recently.I am not on social media but I have been informed that they have been saying that the greens staff 'are a bunch of plebs and should be sacked'.Apparently they have since deleted these comments.My question is ,'should they be able to make these comments at all?'
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. In general terms, the law would be breached if these members were posting comments that were untrue. They could even express their opinion to the effect that the greens were in poor condition and that the groundsmen should be sacked. They are entitled to that opinion and to express that opinion. They can't say anything which is untrue. They can't describe them as "plebs". That would be actionable by the people the comment is targeted at. That is how the civil law would see it. The rules of your club may also provide for sanctions for unacceptable behaviour and you could check that too. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.