Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I bought/had installed a so called reconditioned stairlift

I bought/had installed a so called reconditioned stairlift five weeks ago. It is not used a great deal ie:twice up and twice down each day. It never has turned the full 90 degrees at
the top, but I ignored that because it was not too inconvenient. But, the last couple of days it stops three steps down from the top and bleeps every couple of minutes, as though it knows it has not completed it's run. The most upsetting thing is it sways like a fair-ground bucking bronco at various places on the track (up and down). It's quite fearful for a disabled person, who is only able to use one hand on the bannister - the other pressing
the control button. The lift was purchased via an agent in Northern Ireland from the maker in England and cost £4.500.pounds.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Under the Sale of Goods act 1979 section 14 there is an implied contractual condition that all goods sold are fit for purpose and of reasonable quality. If the stair lift does not actually safely escalate the stairs it is not fit for its intended purpose. Normally this condition is tempered by second hand goods (and Prior inspection) but you bought this from the manufacturer. The manfucturer has an obligation to repair or replace the goods at their discretion failing which you should be entitled to a refund. Did you pay on a credit card? Have you asked the seller to repair it? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a total novice with these machines. Could you put all you have said in an 'E' then I shall be able to save it, read &
understand as and when. Thank you for your assistance.