Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son starts a five year apprenticeship in July 2016 and

My son starts a five year apprenticeship in July 2016 and turns 19 in the same month. What happens to the child maintenance I pay my ex-partner? Can I pay my son directly to help him whilst on his apprenticeship - his salary circa GBP900.00 per month.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Please confirm where in the UK you and your son are. Please also confirm if his apprenticeship is one listed here: https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son and I both live in the Colchester, Essex area, albeit separately. My sons' employer is paying for all exams during the apprenticeship plus my son receives a salary of circa GBP900.00 per month. My son is full time employed as an apprentice and will attend college one day a week as part of the apprenticeship.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. If the apprenticeship is a government approved course (one of the ones listed on this website: https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19 ) then you will be liable for child maintenance to be paid directly to the main carer until he turns 20. After 20 you will be able to pay maintenance directly to him.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you