Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My tenant gave a months notice, then did a moonlit flit the

My tenant gave a months notice, then did a moonlit flit the samr night. She left the door open withthe key on a tablr just inside. Can I go in? She owes rent, utilities . House heavily smoke damaged. Just want it back.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. It would not be in your interest to reclaim the property or change the locks until her notice period has expired. Legally, she has a right to remain in the property until expiration of the notice period. If you were to reclaim the property or change the locks she could potentially have a claim against you for unlawful eviction.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can I do a without predujice letter, saying give me the deposit and I will absorb the other losses and damage if she immediately relinquishes the lease? Have to send it to her mother by email. Who also left the same night!
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

The deposit will be covered under the tenancy deposit scheme (if you had protected it) and you can take your losses from there by following their procedures.