29905560

I have been signed off work by the doctor's mood. My

I have been signed off work by the doctor's for low mood. My employers are asking how my illness is preventing me from working and what medical guidance has been given me. Do I need to disclose this
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been in Civil service for 18 years and have worked in this government department for 11 years. You may be aware that there is opportunity to move around in Civil service. Thanks Ben
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You do not have to disclose such information to the employer but you will have to consider what effects this may have in the workplace. For example, the employer has a duty under health and safety laws to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of their workers and if someone is signed off work and it may affect their ability to do the job, the employer would like to know about this to ensure that they make whatever necessary changes are required to assist them. For example, if your workload is going to have adverse effects on your condition they would like to know so that they can implement changes like reducing your workload or moving you temporarily to a less stressful job. These are just examples but it should give you an idea of why they may want to know how your medical condition will affect you in the workplace. But as I mentioned this is something you provide voluntarily and if you refuse to disclose it to the employer you will not be able to challenge them if they had not made the appropriate changes and you are adversely affected as a result. Alternatively, you may wish to disclose limited information, only what you believe is necessary for them to know, so without providing full details of the issues you are experiencing.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you