Last night at 23:47 the neighbours downstairs were hammering

Customer Question

Hi, last night at 23:47 the neighbours downstairs were hammering on our home door screaming and shouting obscenities and threatening to "break both your legs". My 15 year old son quickly grabbed his phone and recorded the abuse on the other side of our door. I was shaking too much to move! When the neighbours (2) left, I called the Police. They came within the hour but were useless. Mine and my son's crime? Walking, barefoot, in our own home! Every little sound and they complain. My son and I are sandwiched between two flats in an old Edwardian building. We know we live in a flat in London and sometimes the noise of people walking in their home breaks our silence but we don't go around threatening people. This issue has been ongoing for 8 years. I have complained so many times to the Police but to no avail. I have informed my local Council to whom I pay my council Tax but they say it's a Police job. I informed my local MP years ago but he just 'pat me on the head'. I even took the main neighbour to Court in 2009 after being physically, violently attacked. The Judge dismissed the case. My neighbours lie and exaggerate about everything so it's a major problem for us. The threats and accusations and harassments they throw at us have worsen since my husband died four years ago at the mere age of 40. My son and I have been in shock ever since Gary's 'sudden death' so the last thing we need is continuing distress from neighbours. Thanks, Farah
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would you like to know about this Farah?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Alex, I would like to know how to solve this issue. I cannot talk with these neighbours as they are very spiteful. We have spent the past 8 years 'checking the coast is clear', clutching a mobile phone, before leaving our private front door and braving the communal hallway. My child and I are terrified of them because of the damage and distress they have already inflicked on us. I'm at the end of my tether. Could I get a restriction order against them and if so, how, where from and how much?
Thank you, Farah
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

What have the police said?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The very young, inexperienced police - one male, one female - didn't have a clue what to say or what to do. They gave me no advice! Seriously!!!
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

Ok - then you can seek a civil injunction. You would need to complete forms N1:

And N16a:

You are seeking an Order that they do not contact you directly OR indirectly. The Court will set the matter down for a hearing and decide whether to make the Order. If the Court does and they break it, this is contempt of Court which they could be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. That's great. Thank you for your reply, Alex. I will apply for a Civil Injuction. I'm in hospital at the moment so will see if I can do this later today. Will be in touch.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: