Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

A person I have known years owes me £5000. how can I collect

a person I have known for 8 years owes me £5000. how can I collect as she acknowledges the debt but refuses to pay
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Initially, you need to formally write her a letter before action - in the letter you need to outline the debt that is outstanding and provide a reasonable deadline for her to settle the debt, and state that if it is not settled by this date that you will pursue a court application for the debt.

If the debt is not settled voluntarily, you should then proceed with a small money claim which can be commenced here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you