Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My question is regarding citizenship.If I want to apply

My question is regarding citizenship.If I want to apply for british citizenship do I have to stay in UK for 5 years without leaving the country not even for a week holiday?I am from Romania
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Eliza, firstly, you can leave the Uk for up to 90 days each year and still qualify for citizenship. The idea is that you should spend most of your time in the UK, not all your time. So long as you spend more than 275 days each year in the UK for five years, you can qualify for citizenship. Secondly, you should also obtain a residence card to prove you have been living in the UK for the necessary five years. This makes the process much easier when it comes to applying for citizenship. Whilst this is not a necessary prerequisite, it greatly helps. Finally, you should purchase medical health insurance if you are not working and paying National Insurance contributions. This is because you have to be able to provide your own medical care if you wish to obtain citizenship.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert does not get paid by the website.