12826847

Our house is in a row of houses which backs onto a motorway

Customer Question

Our house is in a row of houses which backs onto a motorway and there is a fence running along the back of the houses which represents the boundary line. The strip of land between the fence and the motorway belongs to the Highways Agency and is covered by trees which were originally planted 20 years ago when the houses were built, to help block the noise from the motorway.
Our neighbour has taken down his section of the fence, chopped down several of the trees and started to extend his garden back towards the motorway, building a collection of ramshackle structures made out of bits of wood, plastic and netting to accommodate chickens.
I don't really care what he does behind his own house (even though it looks an absolute mess) but he has now started to move sideways and take over the strip of land behind our house, putting up netting to let the chickens roam around and dumping garden rubbish there, although he hasn't yet tried to cut any of the trees down.
Can he do this? I realise that this land behind our house isn't ours but it certainly isn't his either. Would it be worth contacting the Highways Agency?
Many thanks in advance.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you spoken to Highways, if so what have they said?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rang them and they said to email them, enclosing a copy of the Land Registry extract (I have already obtained this from the Land Registry website) so I will do that & come back to you if that's OK
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sure.