How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently purchased a ground floor flat and with it a share

Customer Question

I recently purchased a ground floor flat and with it a share of the freehold.
There are two other owners in the block, one who owns and lives in the basement flat and the second floor owner (above our flat) who has converted the second floor into 3 flats.
The second floor owner does not live there (i.e. he is a landlord) and he is also the Company Secretary.
Management of the Company is very informal, as noted above one of the other owners is a secretary. There is also no formal arrangement for maintenance and repair - i.e. no monthly or annual service charge.
The Company Secretary has ignored my letters requesting that the Company Share Register be updated to reflect myself and my partner are the new owners (we have the previous owners title deeds).
Further, we have sent the Company Secretary a letter noting that some work to the communal drains needs completing and he is ignoring this also.
We know that the Company Secretary is around.
Please could you let me know my rights and if i have a good basis to take him to court?
Kind regards
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello Alex my name is ***** ***** and I will help you.

Is there any response or just they are ignoring you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HiThe Company secretary is simply ignoring all letters i.e. has not acknowledged themKind regards
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

ok - you need to write and ask for the things you want to be done (ie share register and drains) and say if its not done within 14 days you will seek a Court order.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings. You would need to complete forms N1:

And N16a:

The Court will set the matter down for hearing and decide whether to make an Order requiring the works to be done and share register updated.

If the Court does and they refuse this could be contempt of Court which they may be warned, fined or sent to prison

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank youMy understanding is the Company Secretary is not fulfilling his duties by ignoring me in this way.Do you have any information you could share which summarises by rights?Many thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

It would come under the Companies Act 2006. I dont have the specific provision to hand as its quite a large Act. But as a shareholder then you are entitled to be listed.

In any event if they are not carrying out the required works, this is breach of contract, which is common law.

Does that clarify?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice