75100385

I lent a person some money who failed to pay it back. I took

I lent a person some money who failed to pay it back. I took him to Court and won an order that he should repay me £200 per month about 8-years ago. He made one payment then disappeared. I have recently obtained his address to be in Guernsey - can I enforce the Court order for repayment there? The amount is £2800 before any charges or interest
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Would you be seeking to recover the amount in full or as per the arrangements in the initial order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** sure on the legal side to do with Guernsey though so will have to leave this and allow others to answer if possible thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at this stage - I just want you to inform me whether I can enforce repayment as I would in the UK or whether it is complicated, will require legal fees making the collection not worth while
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you done anything else to enforce at this stage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing legal only written to him asking him to pay - no response.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can enforce in Guernsey. Under what is called the 1957 Law there is an agreement between England and Wales and Guernsey that Judgments in E&W can be enforced there.

As such you would need to make an application to register the Judgment there. Once its registered it has the same force as a Judgment given in their 'County Court'.

How you do that I dont know as I am a Solicitor of E&W. But you can get it transferred there and registered. Once you have that you can enforce it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think this will be financially viable?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I do yes. Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience