How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11135
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Traffic Law Scotland I was stopped by the Police and issued

Resolved Question:

Traffic Law Scotland
I was stopped by the Police and issued a Fixed penalty Notice which I should have attended to straight away but didn't, the 28 day period is now up and I've been told the Police may issue an arrest warrant if I do as I have done in the past. In the past I have done nothing and the Police then call at the house asking to speak to me but as I am very rarely home it is not possible for them to speak to me. Normally after a while they stop calling at the house and then after 6 months it is time barred. I have done this 3 times but been bit freaked about possible arrest warrant which has never been issued in the past. Can you please advise
Terry Hamilton
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

They can't arrest you or issue an arrest warrant. You are entitled not to pay the fixed penalty and then the PF would issue a criminal citation or, as you say, sometimes they don't get round to it. Happy to discuss further but you don't have to worry about being taken into custody. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is a criminal citation a order to attend court as when I have avoided the police when they have come to my door in the past there was no citation issued or left at my house. I was of opinion that the police calling at the house was to give issue citation personally or charge me so as PF could consider whether merited court appearance

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

It is an order to attend court and plead guilty or not guilty. It could be delivered by the police-but the PF can also issue by recorded delivery post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.