29905560

A store security guard stopped and humiliated me after

Customer Question

A store security guard stopped and humiliated me after something in my bag set off the security alarm leaving the store. He went through my personal belongings, putting his hands in my bag and moving things around. We have in an email from the store that the security guard had no right to do so and that he would be talked to about it and it wouldn't happen again. Surely I can take this further?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

What would you be ideally wanting to achieve as a result of the security guard's actions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Compensation. I'm a sponsored athlete and with social media the way it is nowadays, the way the situation was handled was very embarrassing for me. And they in black and white have admitted wrong doing. They had no right to go through my personal belongings in the middle of the store in front of a number of people looking at me.

OK I understand and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst the security guard may have acted incorrectly and gone through your belonging without your consent, that does not mean that you can automatically take this further. The only way you can take further action is if you had suffered losses in the process. For example, if the security guard took items that belonged to you, or caused damage to your personal belongings. Being embarrassed or humiliated in the process is not something you can claim for I’m afraid. The law does not just allow you to claim for that, you need to have shown that actual losses have been incurred. So even if they had committed an act which was legally incorrect, there are many things for which you cannot just claim even if you were the ‘victim’ so to speak. This is not a criminal matter, no crime has been committed here and it is basically a civil tort – a type of trespass to your property but unless losses have been suffered which you can justify, you cannot take the matter further legally. The best you can hope for is an apology from the store and perhaps if they really wanted to they could compensate you in some way as a gesture of goodwill – but that will be entirely voluntary and up to them – they cannot be forced to do that.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.