75100385

I am English, I am being taken to court in France debt owing

I am English, I am being taken to court in France for a debt owing to the bank for a house we built there. The house was sold but not all of the monies owing to the bank were paid back.
When the house was sold I returned to England where I am resident and live and work here, I have been waiting for three stressful years for this case to come to the court. I would like to know if the French bank should have taken this to an English court rather than prosecute in a French court as my main centre of interest is in England and not in France. And whether I have a chance for the case to be withdrawn ' because the procedure was not followed on this basis?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

I assume the 'debt' was accrued in France?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Then sadly it should be prosecuted in France. I am sorry to say that is where the contract is and as such that is where they are entitled to bring a claim.

Indeed if you look at any contract you signed there I am sure it also says it will be governed by French jurisdiction.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/