75100385

I have a question regarding Uk online small business law. I

Customer Question

I have a question regarding Uk online small business law. I would like to speak to a lawyer/solicitor who is very familiar with online selling please. Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiBasically I have received a letter from Trading standards asking me to comply to lots of things I want advice on
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - what is it you would like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok first of all, they have referred me as another website, I know its a typo mistakeExampleRegarding your website examplexxxx.com , while my website is examplexxxx.co.ukHowever because they have also make reference to the niche market I am in, I am sure its me they are referring toCan I ignore the letter on this basis and not reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its 2 times they have referred to the com website on the letter and they have never referred to my website .co.uk at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked online, the owner of .com website is not based in uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I really dont understand what they are asking of you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try to explain in a bit more details, can you see it in the attached file please
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. What information are they asking from you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did not ask me for any informationThey wrote as follows:I am writing to advise you to ensure that you are aware of your legal duties with regards to
consumer contracts reg 2013
consumer protection from unfair trading reg 2008
electronic reg 2002
companies act 2006
unfair terms in consumer contracts reg
consumer rights act 2015
general product safety reg 2005.......I am writing to urge you to seek independent adive on your legal duty under these legislations
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

OK - Is that all they have said?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Just to say you need to be aware of legislation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are concerned by complaints we have received and a number if issues the manner in which your business is tradingThen there are bullets points explaining all the legislations
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - thats it? Do they ask for a reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they say to provide an assurance within the next 21 days that I have taken appropriate steps to comply with the above mentioned legislationsBe adivsed they we will be monitoring complaints about your business ad if necessary in the future we will take enforcement action to ensure fair trading
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - then you dont need to worry. They are just saying you should make sure you are familiar with the law - thats it. It is nothing to be concerned about. If you dont reply then that does not mean anything.

They are not asking for business information etc, just to confirm you know the law.

So if you dont reply that is ok. They have just said they will keep monitoring any complaints about your business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please what would you clarify
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes what do you need clarification of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a few more questions pleaseThe fact that they are asking meTO ***** WITHIN THE NEXT 21 DAYS That you have taken appropriate steps to comply
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you dont have to do that. But I would to prevent any further action.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it not be better for me to have a solicitor draft a letterFirst to point out their mistake about the website they are pointing toAnd also what do I have to say to them,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I have not sold anything from my websiteI sold on social media and I suspect its a competitor doing it to meAs 99.9 per cent of my customers are happy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what route can I take if I suspect all the complaints were not justified
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

At this stage you dont need to worry, there is no prosecution.

Otherwise if there is an investigation you can put your side.

But you dont need to worry at this stage.

Does that clarify?