Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I supplied 3 x single beds to a customer,bought over the

I supplied 3 x single beds to a customer,bought over the internet delivered within time scale and not damaged, customer called to say he meant to order 4'0 beds. I have offered to replace and deliver the the ones he wanted, can I charge him the collection costs as it was his mistake.
Thanks Graham.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Technically yes you could charge him the delivery costs for agreeing to exchange the goods. The only issue is he made the purchase online and accordingly he is entitled to return the goods under the cooling off period of 14 days - the caveat to this is if he exercises this right he will have to arrange for the goods to be returned to you. At this point technically the delivery of the new bed is no longer an exchange but a new purchase, so you would be able to charge him a delivery charge if this was a term of the purchase. Is the customer disputing the delivery charges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The customer agreed that he was at fault in ordering the wrong items and has now agreed to pay the collection costs, and the increased price for the goods he wanted, and ordered more beds, good outcome!
Thanks for your response, it has been most helpful.
Graham.