29905560

I have just recieved a letter from a debt collection agency

Customer Question

i have just recieved a letter from a debt collection agency for a debt for SANTANDER CARDS. i do not nor have ever had any sort of account,loan or card with this company. i am in poor health and this is causing alot of stress.you hear so much about debt collection companies being unscrupulous and dishonest. i am unsure about furnishing any details to anyone.my parents had banked with SANTANDER and had their accounts plundered for over £55.000, which was replaced after we involved the police. please advise the best way to deal with this,would a solicitor be advisable,expensive?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Please can you tell me if you have contacted either Santander or the debt collection company about this? Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no, i have not.did not know who to contact with what statements or questions

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. The first thing to note is that debt collectors are just here to be a nuisance and to try and pressure people into paying what they claim are legitimate debts. However a debt collector cannot just force you to pay anything, nor can they take any of your goods or property. They can make demands and threats but that is all. Of course I completely understand that this alone can be distressing but at the same time they are allowed to do it (to a reasonable degree) if they believe that a debt is genuinely owed.

I would say that it is unnecessary at this stage to involve a solicitor – there is not much they can do apart from contact the and tell them to back off and in the process you will need to pay for their involvement, which is not that cheap.

I would say that a better approach is to contact them, state that you do not admit to any of the debt in any way and that you just want proof and evidence of why they believe this debt is owed by you. If they supply the relevant evidence which is genuine and shows you actually owe this then you can consider whether to pay it or not. If they cannot supply this information then tell them that they should stop contacting you and that any further correspondence by them will amount to harassment.

After that, the only way anyone can decide if you owe this or not is a court and there is no guarantee they will ever get that far.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the law on harassment and how you can use it here, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.