75100385

A couple of years ago I bought two flats to rent out. My

A couple of years ago I bought two flats to rent out. My solicitor failed to inform the parties responsible for collecting ground rent or service charges of my home address resulting in my entailing penalty charges amounting to some £600.00. Am I right in thinking that they are responsible and what is the best, ***** ***** way, of getting my money back?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear your Solicitor dealt with the transaction but failed to inform the agents of your correct address?
Did you ever tell your Solicitor to make sure the bills were sent to a different address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not make a point of telling my solicitor to send all correspondence to my home address as it was the obvious thing to do. There were in fact three properties bought by me through this solicitor around the same time. Apart from these two companies, three others were correctly informed of my home address.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - then whilst you as the owner are liable I think your Solicitor is responsible for this £600. They failed to notify them of your correct address.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Alex. Just what I was looking for. Regards, Alan.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex