Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My younger brother is Executor of Mothers estate. I am one

My younger brother is Executor of Mothers estate. I am one of 4 beneficiaries of the residual estate. The expiry date of the Notices has expired. The Executor has refused any communication with the beneficiaries since the funeral and there is a founded concern between us that there has been some financial abuses.
I have asked the legal administrator for interim accounts. When is the Executor obliged to provide explanation in the form of accounts and can the legitimacy of claimed payments be demanded.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

The executor does not have a legal duty to keep all the beneficiaries advised every step of the way or produce interim accounts.

I suspect the reason for this is that suppose a Will has 20 or so beneficiaries, the cost and administrative burden will simply be too great.

The executor must produce an estate account and account to the beneficiaries at the end of the winding up of the estate so you can all see what has been done.

If you believe that the estate is being mismanaged you must have some evidence for this beyond non communication and will have to apply to the probate registry to replace him .

Best wishes

Michael