75100385

We have a website called www.tacca.co.uk and we have members

Customer Question

we have a website called www.tacca.co.uk and we have members who (not yet but will be doing soon) pay a yearly membership to join, we then give them a listing on our website, very similar to checkatrade, and we display what they put into there listing, we also want to ask them to upload their insurance cover note (not done yet but thinking of doing it) so we can display that to consumers when they come on to our website, this will give the consumer confidence in the member they want to use, to clean their carpets etc... This will be a cover note, not the full insurance policy
My question is, are we breaking any data protection guide lines if we do this, are we allowed to do this or do we need permission from the applicant via a tick box, basically i need to know all the rules of this before we start properly and get complaints etc... is there someone who can help us with all the red tape, if any, my personally thoughts are that as long as we get permission via a tick box and don't add anything to the listing then we are not doing anything wrong.
our other question is about storing the information, what are the rules on this in a nutshell, i dont want a link but a laymans exlanation please.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

I assume the know it will be made public and consent to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i turned down the live phone discussion, i dont want a live phone call i want it in text, why is it now saying live phone call? please can you just answer my question in text.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sure. I assume they will know it will be made public and consent to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
assume, yes, pretty sure they would assume its going on display. but thats not the issue, i need the rules
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Under he Data Protection Act if you have informed the user that the insurance will be published then there is no issue. You need consent. This can be via the user agreement when they sign up.

As long as it's made clear that it will be published and by using the site they consent, then you have no issue.

The Act only requires consent. Can I clarify anything for you? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any other rules i should be aware of, what about storing the data? is there any rules for this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Just in essence that it must be secure. Please see

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-5-retention/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats a link and i asked specifically for no links, can you give me a gist of what i need to pass as secure? nothing is completely secure so i'm guessing i have to adhere to certain protocol which is??? or can i pass the buck to my web designers? :)
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes. If you have a competent web designer and hosting service they will have all the security you need. Go Daddy doe example is well know and has the systems in place.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not really, what are the standard requirements for a secure website with data?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

There is no specific requirement laid down, save for that the data must be secure.

How that is done is up to the firm or individual. But you as the data holder must make sure it's secure.

Can I clarify anything for you? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks that should be fine.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why have i been charged twice for this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I can only see questions, but it looks like you may have accepted an additional service of a phone call. Any billing questions should be directed to customer services please