Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Would a fixed price contract on Upwork (freelancer site)

Would a fixed price contract on Upwork (freelancer site) that costs over £100, be covered by Section 75 protection on a credit card?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Are you paying the service provider directly for the service? Or is the payment being made through a third party? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I am trying to figure out. On upwork.com it seems as though I am contracting with the freelancer, but I can't work out who I am paying, which is key for section 75. I wonder if you could make any more sense of the terms on the website, than I can? Thanks
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thank you. I will have a look at revert to you as soon as possible. Kind regards AJ

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

The site does not appear to be acting as an agent, but is providing escrow services and website for the exchange of freelance work. Looking at the terms and conditions I cannot see why a S.75 refund would be precluded, but you are effectively paying the site 10% of the service for the "Site Services". Accordingly I think only 90% of your money would be protected by S.75. In any event before making a S.75 claim you should rely on the escrow facility and try not to let the money be released until the works are completed as agreed.