chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

What legal requirements would need to be satisfied first,

What legal requirements would need to be satisfied first, for a medical doctor in a foreign country, to be able to write private prescriptions in the UK?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

It all depends on whether the Doctor has qualified. Is the doctor qualified inside or outside the EU?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For clarification: the hypothetical doctor would have a qualification that is recognised in the UK (although this qualification would be from abroad). The doctor would not be physically located in the UK, but would write private prescriptions to be honoured in UK pharmacies. Hypothetically I think the doctor would likely be outside the EU. What differences, pros/cons would be in place if they are in or out of the EU?

If the doctor is within the EU and have been working in the EU, then the assumption is that they would be able to diagnose and write prescriptions in the UK without undergoing further examinations.

If the doctor is outside the EU, they would first need to complete and pass the PLAB Test before being qualified to provide medical advice in the UK.

A doctor outside of the UK, cannot issue prescriptions for people in the UK. These can only be done by a private medical practitioner who is licensed to practice in the UK or an NHS employed doctor.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the doctor is outside the EU, you state that they would need to pass the PLAB test first, before writing private prescriptions to be honoured in the UK. The PLAB test is organised by the GMC, and would enable the doctor to register with the GMC.You state that a doctor in the EU would not need to take any further examinations. Would they need to register with the GMC, or would an equivalent body in the doctor's home country be sufficient?Would I be correct in saying that the general requirement is to just be registered with the GMC?

Any EU Doctor would have to register with the GMC but would not be required to sit the PLAB test.

You are correct in assuming that the general requirement is registration with the GMC.

Kind regards,