Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I run the family plumbing firm and was sent a letter

I run the family plumbing firm and was sent a letter randomly requesting me to check my details and send the information back from 'Commercial Register'. I skim read & automatically thought it was just a government thing to update records. I signed, dated and sent back using their envelope & thought nothing more of it. However, a fortnight later I received an invoice for 993,000 EUR and realised I had signed something that I really didn't want or have any need for. I emailed & wrote to them immediately explaining what had happened, but being outside the 14 days they pretty much don't care & are demanding the payment. I did look back over the thing that I signed & it does say it in small print, and it's a total oversight by me, but is there any way to get out of this?
Thanks,
Jake Kemp
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.

Hi thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the demand coming from a company in Germany? Are they demanding 993 euros or 993k euros? What is the payment supposed to be for? A service? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi AJ, thanks for getting back to me. The company is in Madrid, Spain. They're demanding 993 Euros for having the company contact details up on their website. It's something we really do not need, it doesn't help our company in the slightest & it's very expensive for a small family business like ours.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. I would write back to them and say the following:

- The information they sent you was a deliberate attempt to sign you up to a service that you do not need and has no value to you;

- The information that they sent you was at best misleading and worst fraudulent, and attempt to bind someone to a contract that had no intention of using the service concerned;

- Say you deny any liability as they were clearly trying to pass themselves off as an authoritative organisation, when all they actually doing was trying to sell a service;

- Say if they do not stop chasing you for money you reserve the right to claim the cost from them of claiming legal advice, and will ether report to Trading Standards or www.actionfraud.police.uk/ .

I would note that as this is a business to business arrangement, if they sue in the UK it is their prerogative and you would have to defend the claim. If this happened I would just try and settle the claim as quickly as possible by may be offering a settlement of a portion of the invoice say a couple of hundred euros. Ultimately you do have a responsibility as a business to read what you are signing and they will likely mention this in a court hearing if they were to sue you.
Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks AJ, I will give it a go & see what comes back - I do realise I am a donut for not reading.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. My apologies for laboring the point, unfortunately business to business contracts do not have the same protections as consumer contracts. Therefore you often get large organisations abusing their bargaining position. If I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me. In the mean time I would be most grateful if you would rate my answer. Kind regards AJ

Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE