75100385

My now ex partner (not married) had a old car but no cash, I

my now ex partner (not married) had a old car but no cash, I agreed to sell her my car (a Mazda 5 sports nav 2008) for £3000 that she could pay me later as I know she has a good job. she has been using the car now for business and private use for over a year.
We have very recently broke up and I have asked her to pay for the Mazda. her response was to hand the Mazda back to me saying she no longer wanted it and insisted she signed the documents back into my name.
I booked in a valet so I could just sell the car, however, on inspecting the valet service I noticed damage to the front of the car.
I text my partner and asked has she bumped the front of the car, she was vague but finally said no.
I took the car to the main dealers and to my dismay the damage pointed out to me estimated at a minimum of £2,600, also side and rear damage has done to the car not relating to the front damage estimated at £1,400 to repair. The garage told me that the damage caused is typical of one car rear ending another. Because I was not working that day I made numerous phone calls to car accident websites, Police and the insurance company that we both were using with fully comprehensive insurance, and got enough detail to confirm my partner was indeed in an accident and there is a claim pending on her insurance for damage and personnel injury. I could not get specifics as the girl I was speaking to realised she should not be speaking with me as it was not my registered car at the time even though it is now.
I have written a letter to my partner asking her again if she has been in an accident and damaged the Mazda 5 and if she has giving her the opportunity to get the car repaired with her fully comprehensive insurance that I know she had. She has ignored my correspondence and bought another car. What can I do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I can do to make her pay for the car as agreed or pay for the damage or to make her use her insurance to repair the vehicle.
Shes had the car for over a year as mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The damage on the car is now similar to what the car is worth, approximately £3000. I don't understand why she is denying having an accident or why she can't repair the car on her insurance.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

So, in short, she agreed to pay £3k and has not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct, but I took the car back just to sell for an easy life, we still live in the same house at the moment so she just parked it on the drive not telling me about the damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello, are you still there?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you would like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have very recently broke up andI have asked her to pay for the Mazda. her response was to hand the Mazda back to me saying she no longer wanted it and insisted she signed the documents back into my name.
I took the car back just to sell for an easy life, we still live in the same house at the moment so she just parked it on the drive not telling me about the damage.
03/06/2016 01:15
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes I read that. You want to make her pay for the damage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or pay to get the car fixed through her insurance or buy the car as previously agreed
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund (of the cost of repair) within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, you have confirmed what I thought was the right procedure, so I will go that route, Thank you for your advice Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience