75100385

I did some work client approximately 3 years ago. I did not

I did some work for a client approximately 3 years ago. I did not invoice for all the work then (due to his cash flow issues - the work i did was for his new business venture). I now wish to issue an invoice for the balance and I have an email from the time the work was done, acknowledging he owes, but no specific amounts are stated. I have all the detailed records of work provided and invoice history. Can you tell me where I stand in relation to trying to recover these fees now that such a long time has passed.
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear, the contract was 3 years ago, no longer?
How much is the debt for please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Alex sorry for the delay, I have been checking the information. The work done was in the second half of 2011 and the first half of 2012 (I did not realise it was that long ago). I will need to review the figures, but is likely to be around £3000.
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Then you dont need to worry. You have 6 years under the Limitation Act 1980 to bring a claim. So no, its not been too long.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I should add, at the time relations were good with the client, which is why I responded to his entreaties that cash was tight and held off the next bills. Since that time, relations have become poor, due to an unrelated issue. I had hoped they would be resolved but the other party is not willing to engage in helpful dialogue. This is why I would like to be paid in full for the work and the value I have added to his enterprise. I no longer feel any moral of personal obligation. If it helps I can send a copy and paste of the email I received in February 2012 which concedes that money is owed.
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Ok - makes no difference. You can chase and then issue a county court claim.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nearly there - my own research told me about the 6 year period, I guess the issue is, given the now poor personal relationship and assuming I invoice and he does not pay, how realistic is my chance of success at the county court. I can prepare comprehensive details of the work done, which was paid for and equally full details of the remaining work (it was drawings and other material submitted to planning and building regulations authorities, so a matter of record. Because of the friendship I did not use my standard terms of engagement (my silly error - for being a nice person). If it was not for the key email which acknowledges indebtedness, I would not consider pursuing it. The key issue to me is whether the evidence is strong enough, can I attach the email - or paste the text ?
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

To review the evidence would be an additional service as your question was about how long to bring a claim. But if you have documentary evidence then your claim is worth pursuing. In any event it would be a small claim so you dont need to worry about large legal fees as you wont need a Solicitor.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is the first time I have used this service, so dont know what to expect. I think I indicated a medium level of detail in the responses. How much would it be to review the evidence, to attempt to recover this debt will ' open a can of worms' and re-ignite animosity - however I have tried to keep my dignity and not react to any provocation and be objective about the debt. But if I do go ahead I would want to be as sure as possible of a good chance of success. So can you tell me how much it would be for further review of the relevant paperwork (emails)
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

I have read the attached document. I think you have a claim, but its a commercial decision for you whether you pursue it. But you have a clam by the looks of it.

Can I clarify anything else for you? Alex

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No thanks - that has been useful feedback. What do I do next - to close the dialogue and settle up
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience