JustAnswerKM
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
90849391

I was born in Uk, lived there all my life and worked in

I was born in Uk, lived there all my life and worked in Social Services, and in Teaching until retiring aged 67. On retirement I decided to buy a house in Spain and live there most of the time. I still own property(3 mortgaged) in England and pay taxes in England. I lost my partner 6 months ago just as we were thinking of returning to UK permanently. ( he registered as being back in UK, but I cancelled my registration, during the period of uncertainly following his death).
I am now planning on living some of the year in Spain, some of the year in Wales and some of the time in Portugal. Can you tell me where i should be registered as living?
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon

Thank you for your message. I just have 2 questions for you before I can answer fully:

Are you still registered in Spain?

Do you still own the property in Spain? If so, are most of your belongings there and are you renting out the property whilst abroad?

Krystel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on the padron in Spain, I own a property which has a mortgage, but is not rented out when I am away from it. At this moment in time most of my belongings are in Spain but I am likely to be moving some things to Cardiff and some things to Portugal. I will leave a small car in Spain. However I will not require a car in either portugal or Cardiff, as I will be nearer to a bus route. I will apply for a bus pass in Cardiff.

Thank you for your response.

When a person decides on their registered home of legal residency, it is where they primarily live and have established a permanent address based on significant family, occupational, economic, political and social ties.

From the information you have given me, Spain strikes me as your home of residency because it has been your home for some time (family and social ties), the majority of your belongings are there and you will be returning to your home in Spain which is not rented out therefore deemed as your home address. You have investments in the UK thus you continue to pay any necessary taxes.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Krystel

*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.