13262538

Re Being a British Subject and being eligible British

Re Being a British Subject and being eligible for a British passport: The U.K. Govt. site states, on the instant subject "British subjects can’t normally pass on that status to their children if the children were born after 1 January 1983". I was born in 1946 and both my parents were British Subjects at the time (Canada's citizenship only came into being in 1947). Does this mean that I could be eligible for a British passport? I have a Canadian passport.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Were your parents born in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Canada as were their parents. In my father's passports (that I still have) it states "British Subject", BTW.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that since neither of your parents were born in the UK they were not able to pass their British Citizenship to you - and since your Grandparents were also not born in the UK you are not entitled to UK Ancestry Entry Clearance either

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My spouse is British and I suppose the only way to acquire British citizenship would be to actually live in the U.K.?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid so