propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

The lease where I live states that I am not allowed to

The lease where I live states that I am not allowed to display any signs in my apartment window. However I've been trying to sell the apartment for the last 4 yrs, with a for sale sign displayed in the window, and I'm being asked to take the for sale sign down. Does this clause in the lease breach any of my human rights. I own the apartment, the sign has been up for 4 yrs and because a neighbour has recently complained, I'm being asked to remove it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is difficult to say with certainty without reading the clause itself.

The lease represents a contract between you and the landlord. Contractually the landlord can request you take the sign down if there is a clause in the lease prohibits signs being displayed.

The fact you own the apartment does not matter as the terms of ownership are set out in the lease. If displaying signs are prohibited then the landlord can insist the sign be removed. I would be happy to review the clause in order to give you a certain answer.

Sadly, I do not think you can raise any human rights issue here.

I hope this helps.