Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Our 3 Cockermouth spaniels bark when they'really about to go

Customer Question

Our 3 Cockermouth spaniels bark when they'really about to go for a walk.twice a day.
Also from the window if something goes past.they are not barking consistently or between 10. 00pm -7.00 am.lts on and off,
for a few minutes. A neighbour behind us has complained,and said they can even hear them through 2 shut doors!although it sounds muffled.what can we do?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 11 months ago.

As a life long dog owner myself we know that it is in the nature of dogs to protect their territory and those in it by barking. It is half the reason we get a dog in the first place.

As to what happens next, the neighbours next course of action would be to complain to the environmental health department of the local council.

They will either simply write a letter asking you to keep the dogs quiet if they are being lazy or they will monitor the noise level from the neighbours house.

A high level of persistent noise is required such as a party with loud music and the windows open.

It is unlikely that your dogs will reach the required level.

As such there is little you either need to do or can do, they have to prove the case against you , you do not have to prove your dogs are innocent.

You might wish to consider whether there are some simple steps you can take such as block their view from the window.

I hope this helps, if there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Best wishes

Michael

Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience: I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Michael, thank you very much for your very helpful answer.I forgot to say they''ve (the neighbours) have been recording the dogs barking, but we get out of the gate quickly or door, its unlikely to amount to 20mins.
We will be shouting our back door &maybe the kitchen door, to stop them hearing Molly (10 year s) as she barks at people/dogs/vans in the road a lot.
The neighbour also said there was a new woman next to them, who was going to report us to the RSPCA as Monty(our 10 month old puppy) makes an awful screech ing noise if one of us walks the other 2, and he's left behind.it does sound awful, but it's just him, he's very excitable , as are the other 2.
They incidentally complained about the waterfall on our pond a few years ago, that's fallen by the wayside now.
The neighbour also said people were complaining in our road, but we're too loyal to say anything.Linden Road consists only of 14 bungalows! it's a dead end,& besides us, there are 7 more dogs in the road, although the owners only have one each.
Thank you in advance, I won't be able to reply until later thisafternoon as I'm out until around 5o'clock.
Sarah Parren

Dear *****h

With 7 dogs in a relatively small road it is quite difficult for the finger to be pointed anyway but some people do seem to think we all should live in a library. We are a small island and living reasonably close to one another is a fact of life.

It is this factor that ensures that the complainers of the World have something to complain about but awareness that this is the case that ensures such complaints rarely come to anything.

As discussed, I would not take this too seriously but would consider, as you have done, whether you can reduce it, if possible.

Michael

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you , you''re answer is very helpful , Best Wishes , Sarah Parren.

Dear *****h

You are welcome.

If you have not done so already you need to rate me to close it.

Best wishes

Michael