12826847

My son is entering into a divorce after 11 years of

Customer Question

My son is entering into a divorce after 11 years of marriage, no children from his marriage, but 3 from her previous marriage (all adult and living away from home now). His potential ex is saying that she has been told she should expect 85% of house value, it's in joint names although. he has always paid the mortgage. There is a disparity in their earnings, I think his are about £40-45,000 p.a. And hers arouro £15-18,000 p.a. She is 12 yrs older than him and is 53, she says she has been told she should not be required to have a mortgage to buy another property after their divorce, at her age. But when they took out their mortgage 11 years ago, they took it out as a mortgage to be paid off by the time they were retirement age (65).
So is that correct that she should not be expected to have to enter into another mortgage to buy a property even though she had committed to still having one at age 65 originally?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What other assets are there and where did the deposit for the house come from?

How much does a cheaper one bedroom property in a reasonable area cost?