13262538

My son and daughter in law got upset with us over an issue

My son and daughter in law got upset with us over an issue to do with work and as a result have not spoken to us for 6 months they have also stopped us seeing our grand daughter. Is there anything that we can do about this?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is your Grandchild and what contact did you have prior to the disagreement

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is 1 yr 6 months old and we had full contact with her before the disagreement
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How often was that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least once a week often more
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Alone?

for how long?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alone we would babysit etc as my son only lives 5 minutes away from us we have looked after her overnight as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually own my own business which is electrical testing and the problem came because my son felt he should have been employed by me when I employed my son in law. But my son has mild cerbal palsy and cannot read or write very well. Dispite this I paid for him and my son in law to sit the city and guilds exam and my son in law passed but my son failed badly and then got jealous because I employed my son in law. My son now does not speak to either me or his mother or his sister and her 3 children because of this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still there?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Grandparents have no automatic right to contact - or even to apply for contact.

However where there is an existing relationship then the court may well Order contact.

Your problem is that your grand daughter is very young and you have already been absent from her life for a third of it and may well struggle to argue that there is an existing relationship which means that it is in the best interest of the child to resume and continue it.

At best you would possibly gain a meeting once a month at a local contact centre for a couple of hours.

In any event the starting point is for you to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment meeting - a MIAM - with a local Family mediator and see if your son will agree to attend.

If not then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - and ask for permission to apply in the same application.

You do need however to bear in mind the limitations on what you are likely to achieve

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As our son is not talking to us how can we find out if he will agree to attend?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You make the appointment and the Mediator will write to him

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thats great, thanks ever so much for your help
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome I hope all goes well