Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I'm 1 of 3 sisters , our 71yr old mum suffers from

Customer Question

I'm 1 of 3 sisters , our 71yr old mum suffers from schizophrenia and is in a care home , the youngest daughter is appointee and has full control of the bank account where all of our mum's state benefits go in to . At 1 time I did have access to the account via a cash card but due to a falling out and change of bank I since found out that my eldest sister now has this cash card. Access to this account for my part would solely be for purchasing clothing/ toiletries for my mum.)
My concern now is how do I obtain access to the account as both my sisters are no longer communicating with me , finally my mum does not have lasting power of attorney or a will and has no assets apart from the bank account.
Yours faithfully
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

You will not be able to have any control over the account as your sister is the appointee of the account.

The Department of Work and Pensions will only remove an appointee for good reason such as abuse of your Mum's funds.

In order to get reimbursed for any items bought for your Mum you will need to give the receipts to your sister.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, am I entitled to request any statements from the account to then ascertain how the account is being managed and if these are refused do I have rights to contact the DWP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not sure if I added this question in the right place. Am I entitled to request any statements from the account to then ascertain how the account is being managed, and if these are refused do I have rights to contact the DWP. Also another question, if my sister is the appointee can I apply to be a deputy and if so how do I go about itMany thanks

you can request statements but not demand them.

The whole point of having an appointee , attorney or deputy is that there is one point of focus and one letter can be sent.

You can apply to be deputy but only if there is lack of mental capacity when any appointment ceases to have any effect

Michael