How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question

propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 270
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I'm a British living in London and I would like to go into

Resolved Question:

I'm a British living in London and I would like to go into business with a Friend who is resident outside of the UK. The business we would like to get into is property. We would like to get a property in the UK together and then lease this out. What is the process to achieve this?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 9 months ago.


Thanks for your email.

Are you proposing to buy a commercial or residential property?

Where is your friend resident for tax purposes?

How are you proposing to finance the purchase, cash buyer or do you need a loan/mortgage?

Will you be using funds from abroad? If so, where?

If you can please provide some additional information I can assist.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Paul,Thanks for getting back to me.My friend is Kenyan by nationality and lives in Kenya. All funds will come from him (from Kenya).The property will be a commercial property. We would like to set up a company as part of this business.For now, we are not sure if we can do a cash buy on the property or would need to take out a mortgage. Can you provide information on both of these options please?Regards
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hi Ibrahim

Thanks for responding.

It may be preferable to do this by setting up a UK registered company because your friend is overseas. It can depend on various factors and will require analysis beyond the scope of the advice available on this website.

You and your friend would then be directors of the company.

But you will need your speak to an accountant for advice on the most tax efficient method, as the taxation rules are different for companies and private individuals.

One issue which you will encounter and need to overcome is evidencing source of funds. Solicitors have to make investigations into funds coming in to the UK from abroad. Statements and potentially other documents will need to be provided together with a thorough explanation as to how the funds were accrued. Do be aware that you will have to deal with this requirement.

Firstly, take account / tax advice, which is best company/individually.

Secondly, speak to a mortgage advisor to decide if you will use mortgage finance.

Thirdly, once you know your finances you can find a property. You may have to pay stamp duty land tax on the purchase. You can check this on the Sdlt calculator on HMRC's website.

Fourthly, once offer is accepted appoint a solicitor. At this stage you will have to provide ID documents and documents to verify source of funds. If you are using mortgage finance, the mortgage off will be sent to your solicitor.

From this point the solicitor will handle the matter, carry out investigation, approve the contract, carry out searches. On exchange of contracts the deal becomes legally binding and you will pay a deposit to the seller. you will now be obligated to complete. On exchange you will agree a completion date. On that date you will pay the balance of purchase monies (you will receive the mortgage monies on the completion date), Sdlt if due. The property is then yours and the solicitor will register the transfer at the land registry.

Do let me know if you have any further questions or queries.

If my answer has been helpful please accept / rate to ensure I get paid for my time advising you.

Many thanks.

Kind regards


propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 270
Experience: Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
propertylawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions