propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I live in at one end of a row of terraced cottages. All

I live in at one end of a row of terraced cottages. All properties have their own front and rear access. There are also gates between the rear gardens where it is possible to pass from one end to the other. Traditionally, the bin-men would access this route to collect the weekly rubbish, however, approximately a year ago, they requested that we all leave our rubbish at the front of the properties and therefore have no need to pass through and as far as I can see, neither do the neighbours. I have come home on a couple of occasions to find my gate wide open. This leads onto the main road and I have two dogs. I have also on occasion, had family/friends of the neighbour's walk through whilst I have been sitting out there.
I have looked at my deeds. Title number:LA442817...it states...."Together with the right at all times hereafter for the Purchaser his tenants servants work people and all others authorised by him to pass and repass on foot with or without barrows...."
I read this as it being on my say so that access is permitted.
Due to safety of the dogs and security I have put a lock on the gate. This has been removed.
Please can you advise?
Many Thanks,
***** ***** ***@******.***
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alison

It is very likely that the deeds to the other two cottages contain a similar right, therefore your neighbours would have a right to cross your property to access/ egress their property. An examination of their deeds would confirm this (these can be obtained from the Land Registry, provided the properties are registered).

Therefore you cannot obstruct their right of access.

You can put a lock on the gate for security purposes but you must give a key to the other property owners who have a right of access.

I hope this helps.

Please accept / rate my reply.