75100385

I moved into a property months the landlord had not received

I moved into a property for 6 months for which the landlord had not received approval from the Council to convert from industrial use to residential use. I then received an eviction notice from the Council halfway through - the landlord appealed, and the case is still pending.
I've now left the property, but had many difficulties with utilities for example while there. Is it possible for me to go to Court to retrieve the rent I paid for those 6 months?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would be the value of your claim please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be for the 6 months of rent I loved there on top of my deposit, so around £8000.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.