12826847

Three years ago I employed two roofers to repair a leak in

Customer Question

Three years ago I employed two roofers to repair a leak in my roof. They did five hours' work, charged me £1200 and left; they did leave me a warranty of eight years which supposedly guaranteed to protect me from 'further ingress of rainwater', of which there has been plenty. Their letterheading includes a Trustatrader logo, a landline phone number, a mobile phone number, a postal address and an email address. Neither of the numbers responds or takes a message and emails are aborted. I have sought advice from the London borough council offices where they apparently reside, the one where I live, the trading standards offices concerned, the police and of course the Trustatrader people, who seem quite unconcerned that dishonest traders are using their logo - indeed, they said rather loftily that if I hadn't applied to them in the first place, they weren't allowed to advise me! Their website refers frequently to 'your account' and your membership. But why would a consumer have an 'account' with a trading standards body?
Nobody can offer me any advice about how to contact the men (Collins and Casey, Roofing Specialists). Is this open season for rogue traders then? Or has it always been thus?
Anne Saunders (aged 83)
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a previous address for these people on the invoice or letterhead or quotation?

What have trading standards and the local authority had to say about this? Have the police claim that this is a civil matter and they cannot get involved?

If you could explain what has happened in detail since making the complaint it will assist. Best wishes