Madam, Query regarding possible Consumer Ombudsman case (car

Customer Question

Dear Sir / Madam,
Query regarding possible Consumer Ombudsman case (car renovation)
We purchased a renovation project of a Lola Mk 1 historic racing car in August 2014. The ‘car’ originally comprised the original engine, gearbox and differential housing, which is sufficient for the governing body, the FIA, to certify the completed renovation project as an original car.
Originally, the deal was made through a ‘middle man’, who happened to be a friend of mine, but it became clear that this person was not acting in our interests, so we have been dealing with the garage directly since August 2015. The ‘middle man’ gave us a timescale of 6-8 months to complete the work, ie to have been concluded by Feb-April 2015.
After dealing directly with the garage, in August 2015 the garage gave us the following indication of timescale: “another 2-3 months, we would aim to have this car running by Christmas” [2015].
Since then, there has been much communication from us, though only limited communication in return from the garage. Several meetings have taken place, at which new deadlines have been agreed, only to then be ignored by the garage. The last of these deadlines was for a ‘rolling chassis’ (ie about a 90% complete car) to be ready by 19th May. The car is still some way off readiness.
We have continued to pay the garage for the works, albeit that we have queried their last invoice (end of May).
We went to the garage again last week (3rd June) to find that no work had appeared to have taken place on the car since our previous visit 12 days earlier. Indeed, it seems to us that hardly any work has taken place on the car in recent months, and that the garage is clearly prioritising other cars over ours. This is something that looks set to continue for the next month or so, as the garage readies itself for a prestigious race in mid-July.
To make matters worse, throughout this process we believe we have been misled and lied to by the garage.
Our query is twofold: would we have a case to take the garage to the Consumer Ombudsman (I understand that we should warn the garage in advance, so they have the change to remedy the situation); and, secondly, whether there is a way to force the garage to complete the work within a specified timeframe?
Thank you very much indeed for your review of this case. This has been dragging on for so long that it is putting a lot of financial pressure on our family, so any advice you may have will be greatly appreciated.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,
Chris & ***** *****
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Alex,Thanks for helping us.All we really want to achieve is to get the car finished in a sensible timescale (ideally, say, about 4 weeks), to a programme that is stuck to by the garage.We feel we might need to force their hand by going to the Ombudsman, but ideally we would avoid this somehow. We keep trying to be accommodating with the garage - as we fear they could do a bad job or be obstructive if we don't - but they keep abusing our conciliatory approach.Thanks again,Chris
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a number we can chat on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning Alex,Our number is ***** 238 415. I look forward to speaking to you.Thanks,Chris
Expert:  Ash replied 4 months ago.

Calling now. Alex