75100385

I opened a business in a shop and signed a 10 year lease

Customer Question

i opened a business in a shop and signed a 10 year lease after 2 years we could not keep the shop going so we talked to the lease holder who could not reduce the rent enough for it to make a difference and left the premises .
the lease holder then released us from our lease however we keep getting bills from the local council for business rates we left in February and had paid the rent and rates till april.we never had a contract with the council and as i tried to explain the business closed so why do we need to pay business rates when there is no business it makes no sense to me but they are threatening court action,what can i do???
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Has it been rented out to someone else?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no it has not been rented out since
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a number we can chat on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
paul
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alex sorry but thought you were going to ring me and you were free now thats why i paid the extra have you an idea how long you will be .
thanks paul
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Sorry I was just in court and only just got out. Are you free now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alex sorry but i replied to you 30 mins ago to say yes im free still no call what is happening???
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Sorry I didn't see your response. Shall we fix a time tonight instead?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alex you say when you will call and i will answer ,not too happy since started this question at 15.30 still little answers
thanks paul
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Shall I call now? I am sorry I was stuck in Court and then the system didnt show your reply, but I am here to help now. Alex

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Calling now. Alex

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Alex
i have spoken to the council about my situation they say unless i get written confirmation form the owner that the lease was terminated they will carry on with the court case the council asked them for it 3 years ago and the agent said we were responsible i pointed out that we pay no rent or any other bills regarding that premises and are not chased for any no rent has been paid for over*****case is still going ahead what should i do now please
thanks
Paul
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

I would get something from the Landlord in writing and take it to Court.
I would also take bank statements or emails to show when rent stopped.

its NOT your responsibility - you are NOT the tenant

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
its clear to me lol,
getting anything is writing is doubtful as have tried before me and the council but will try again if not i will just have to go to court and tell them my side of it then i guess.
thanks
Paul
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Sure. The Council need to PROVE you are the tenant. You dont need to disprove you are not.

Does that clarify? ALex

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the only proof they have is the original lease agreement but i will go to court and state my case
thanks
Paul
Expert:  Ash replied 7 months ago.

Good luck Paul.