Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I live in england in the uk. I would like to make a will and

I live in england in the uk. I would like to make a will and leave all the assets to my two sons.
The two witness signatures i believe they can't be beneficiaries? Therefore my two sons can't sign to be a witness?
The two people doing witness signatures. Can it be my wife and my daughter? Both are not beneficiaries in the will. Or does the fact they are family members void my two sons benefiting.
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the Internet.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Witnesses cannot be beneficiaries in the will and also should not be members of your family - this is because despite what is in your will certain members of your family are entitled to apply to court in the event of your death if they seek reasonable provision from your estate.

You should therefore have two totally independent witnesses who have no connection to the family.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a relative allowed to be a witness?In regards ***** ***** members. On the Internet on several legal sites it says my daughter or wife would be allowed so long as they were not beneficiaries. Assuming this is incorrect?Thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Legally, they would be allowed to witness it as long as they are over 18 and are not beneficiaries or are married to a beneficiary. But it is also best to have someone totally independent to witness the will.

I hope this assists you further. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my wife and daughter could be a witnesses and my two sons beneficiaries. It says on the Internet if beneficiaries partners sign as witness then beneficiaries don't get anything. Assuming this is different to other members of family witnessing? So my wife and daughter can witness?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Yes, legally the can be witnesses and your sons beneficiaries without it impacting their inheritance.