propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

My neighbour is in course of building a large extension

Customer Question

My neighbour is in course of building a large extension along the fence between out two properties
There is to be a 15 x 3 feet window directly overlooking my garden, patio and we look directly into it from our patio doors in my upstairs sitting room
Council did not advise me of the planned extension
This is a significant and serious invasion of my privacy
What remedies have I got?
Building commenced this week and timber frame in place
Your advices would be appreciated
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Generally a window within a certain distance of a boundary which overlooks neighbouring land is not permitted.

Have you checked with the council's planning department to see if the neighbour obtained planning permission. You state it is a large extension and this may have required planning. The council may not have informed you for 2 reasons (1) it is permitted development or (2) they do no know about it.

You should speak to the planning department and they will come and inspect.

Do let me know if you have any further details so I can assist further.

I am just following up on my response.

Do you have any further questions or queries in relation to my reply? Happy to help further if I can.

If not please can I ask you to accept /rate my reply so that I receive credit for the time spent in assisting you.

I just want to make sure that I have dealt with your query. Do let me know if I can help further.