29905560

Rolling contract assurance,is it binding? Or like any other

Customer Question

rolling contract for ariel assurance,is it binding? Or like any other assurance can I choose to
renew or not?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Are you a business?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just a private citizen,near seventy years old. I have for several years had what is claimed a
rolling contract,to supply an insurance for television satellite dish.At the end of the last period,18 th May, I verbally told the insurer I did not wish to renew. They insist I am still bound by the contract and must continue to purchase the insurance from them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The insurer is Satelite Assured Services Ltd.P.O.Box 555 Chichester.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not appear to have a copy of this so called rolling contract.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, there have been various challenges in relation to rolling contracts and whilst they have been outlawed in some sectors, there is no blanket restriction on the. This means that whilst they are banned in certain contracts, they are allowed in others. For example, Ofcom in has prohibited rolling contracts in the fixed voice and broadband residential and small business sectors. The cover you have is not automatically banned from using rollover contracts so the fact that such a contract is in place will not mean it is unenforceable.

What would potentially make such contracts unenforceable is if the rolling nature was not communicated to you properly, for example it was hidden in the small print or it was misleading. Also if you were never issued with the contract t can also be unenforceable.

In the circumstances any issues should be resolved directly with them. If no solution can be found you can take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman for free:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Finally, you can just cancel the payment and let them take this further if they want to. They cannot force you to pay unless they take you to court and win and in the circumstances that mat be somewhat difficult for them.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** reason for a company to employ such a device as rolling contracts, is certainly not to the benefit of the customer.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

No it is not, but that does not automatically make it unlawful or unenforceable. As mentioned there are already examples in other industries here such contracts are forbidden but it is not the case for this type of contract as yours. Saying that there are still options for you to try and get out of it as mentioned in my original response.

If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you