Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

An unknown person/persons gained access to my elderly

An unknown person/persons gained access to my elderly mother's garage and has filled it with what looks like their entire belongings. The items are dirty and quite disgusting. My mother has contacted the police but they can't do much about it. What are her rights as regards ***** ***** of this stuff?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Teresa, your mother can take this stuff to the nearest dump and dispose of it as she pleases. Under English law, the leaving of goods on a property constitutes a trespass so the owner of the property, such as your mother, is entitled to remove those items from the property and to inform the owner as to their whereabouts, should they ask. There is no obligation on your mother to store these belongings or to take care of them. No such duty is owed to a trespasser. I would also advise your mother to securely lock up her premises in future and to deny this person access so this doesn't happen again, as next thing this person might move in.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I shall tell mother to plan a bonfire!