Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am applying citizenship but declared a US bankruptcy 13

I am applying for UK citizenship but declared a US bankruptcy 13 years ago. Do I need to declare that on my application form?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. At the outset, you need to realise that the issue of having been in bankruptcy in the USA will not affect the success of your citizenship application in the UK. It is not a matter which will prevent you getting citizenship. However, you will need to disclose it upon your citizenship application form as it falls within a class of matters which are relevant to the test of "good character" which must be passed to acquire UK citizenship. Basically, all matters which impinge upon your character need to be disclosed even if they will not be taken into account to disbar you from citizenship. This is because non-disclosure of matters relevant to character will lead to the rejection of your application, even if the matter not disclosed would not disbar you. So, the non-disclosure can have greater consequences, than the matter relevant to character itself.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. So you need to disclose your previous bankruptcy in the USA, even if this won't impinge upon your application.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, I assumed so just hope that it won't ruin my chances!! It's ruined so many other things!!
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

4. Bankruptcy is not something to which a stigma attaches in the UK. So, it is perfectly Ok to have gone bankruptcy in another country and still obtain UK citizenship.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you!
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

5. Please Rate the answer.