Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My Daughter completed A levels last year I payed

My Daughter completed A levels last year for which I payed maintenance. Then went on to do a Diploma at University which originally the courts admin department said I had to maintenance for I sent them a letter contesting this. They then said maintenance was finished the three months later i receive another letter saying that they changed their mind and maintenance was payable now I am being summoned to court for arrears. What a mess
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Is there a court order in place regarding maintenance or is it a Child Maintenance Service/CSA calculated arrangement?

-If it is a court order, please confirm the exact wording of the order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It Is a court order and says"Paragraph 5 of the Order of District Judge Edwards dated 17th June 200\ be"
"varied so that the Respondent shall, from the date of this Order, pay to the"
"Applicant for the benefit of the children George Attwill date of birth 09.04.1994"
"and Sophie Attwill date of birth 14.07.1 997, periodical payments at the rate"
"£1 37.50 per month per child until they shall respectively attain the age of 17"
"years or cease full time secondary education, whichever shall be the la\ter, or"
"until further Order. Such payments shall be made on 2nd of each month by"
"standing order payable monthly in advance."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have just attached all corespondents for your attention
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. I have considered the documents and obviously there appears to have been a mix-up with the legal advisor. Initially it seems that as your daughter was attending university, she would no longer be in "secondary education", however, despite her attending university, her actual studies are equivalent to A-Levels and therefore they would be considered "secondary education" - however, I would suggest you check to see if this is in fact "full-time" or if she is not studying part-time, as under your information if she is part-time you would no longer be liable for the maintenance under the order.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you