chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am a US citizen. My Grandmother on my mothers side was

Customer Question

I am a US citizen. My Grandmother on my mothers side was born in Aberdeen, I have her original birth certificate. Her daughter, my mother was born in the USA as was I. My mother was born in 1933 and I was born in 1955. Am I eligible to apply for duel citizenship and an EU passport
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

Did your grandmother hold any other nationality at the time of your mother's birth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. If she did it would be a USA.

I am thinking you may be able to obtain citizenship by descent, however, I will need to check and revert back to you in the morning. I hope this is okay?

Unless you would like to discuss on the phone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe my grandfather, her husband was born in Canada and applied for US citizenship since he was a colonel in the Army. Yes tomorrow will be fine once you have a chance to check on the answer. Thank you. Best regards..Carole

Thanks Caroline

I will revert back to you in the morning.

Do you hold any other nationality?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just US citizenship
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any new information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still awaiting an answer to my inquiry. I would like to schedule an appointment with the UK embassy if there is a chance

Sorry for the delayed response. I was not online for very long yesterday.

Every person who is a British citizen is so either "by descent" or "otherwise than by descent​.

From the information you have provided above, I am of the opinion that you are unable to apply for British Citizenship by descent by virtue of your mothers citizenship, that she obtained by descent.

Your mother is unable to pass her nationality to you.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,