Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I own 2 leesehold flats now on 83yrs. All maintinance cost

Customer Question

I own 2 leesehold flats now on 83yrs. All maintinance cost are shared half each. They are in a block of 4. Layout like 2 semidetached houses my flats being as one semi house. No shared access or comunil spaces. The garages are housed in one building & part still leesed & part of that building freehold ? Would i be able to buy my flats freehold? Many thanks sonia burton
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sonia,

Thanks for your enquiry.

I am afraid you don't have a right to buy the Freehold- Leaseholders living in a block like yours are only legally entitled to a Lease extension of an additional 90 years at a peppercorn rent (ie zero rent), provided they have owned the Flat for 2 years.

If the Freeholder did voluntarily wish to sell the Freehold of the building, he does need to give you the right to buy it first, before selling to a third party, but this would have to purchased by all 3 of you (ie all the Leaseholders in the whole building) and it would not be possible in these circumstances for you personally to purchase only the "half of the Building in which your 2 Flats are situated.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

If I have helped, please don't forget to rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Sonia, if I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al