Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have obtained a court order to force the sale of my

I have obtained a court order to force the sale of my property which I own as joint tennants with my ex-partner (not married)
He is contesting the order. I paid less towrds the deposit and did not contribute to the mortgage during our relationship as I was studying. I did contribute to bills, council tax etc.
Am I entitled to 50% of the equity in the property?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a formal agreement or declaration of trust in place in relation to the unequal contributions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris,
No there was just the standard joint tenancy. We did not change to tenants in common with unequal shares, though the option was given to us.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. As there is no formal agreement and you hold the title as joint tenants you would each be legally entitled to 50% of the equity. This can only be departed from if he can demonstrate that there was a clear intention that the equity split would be unequal and he would have to pursue an application to court to obtain a greater share.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.