How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question

Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6709
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I resigned couple of days ago, giving 30 days notice as per

Customer Question

I resigned couple of days ago, giving 30 days notice as per contract. Owner/director of company, after giving verbal acceptance, sent me an email whereby he accepts but saying there are two points contingent to the leaving dates. Then today he verbally abused me telling me to f... when I asked what he meant by that (ref email) since I gave me the agreed notice period and the day-to-day work just be as usual until I left. Having been terribly mistreated in front of colleagues, adding to an already horrible 6 months working for this person, I would like to know where I stand legally if I don't go back to work and serve my notice period. I cannot face going in that place a minute longer. Thank you for your kind assistance. Monica
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to ask how I should tell him if I'm not going back. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 10 months ago.

Dear Monica

One option would be to go to your doctor and get signed off as sick for the notice period as a consequence of the stress caused by your employer's treatment of you. That way you are not leaving early just not well enough to go in and it avoids confrontation.

The alternative would be constructive dismissal. This is where the employer treats an employee so badly as to breach the implied term in the contract that you will be treated reasonably and with respect.

This way you inform the employer that they have breached the contract as a consequence of treating you badly and, as such, you are entitled to leave as you no longer have to abide by the contract as they broke it.

I hope this helps.

If there are any further points please reply and I will be happy to respond

Best wishes


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice