Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My son in law borrowed 250 pounds from me 12 months ago

My son in law borrowed 250 pounds from me 12 months ago saying that he had aproblem
With his tax since then his marriage has broken up l have sent him 2 letters asking for my money and even offered to have it in 2 instalments but he is ignoring my letters what can l do next
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Initially I would suggest that you write him a formal letter requesting settlement of the debt by a certain date, and state that if it is not settled after this time you will be pursuing a claim to court. If you do decide to pursue the matter to court, this will be as a small money claim and you can submit an application here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply but I have already written to him twice and heard nothing back from him
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming

In that case your only option would be to pursue a court claim against him to recover the money. You can submit an application here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online and this will be allocated to a court and he will be served with the claim and an opportunity to defend it. If he does not respond to the claim you can apply for an automatic order. If he defends it then it will be listed for a hearing.