How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8963
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I am now unemployed (made redundant). Whilst employed, my

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am now unemployed (made redundant). Whilst employed, my family was covered by private medical aid. My husband underwent serious treatment for kidney stones in 2014, and the final treatment was in Jan 2015. The doctor has a new PA who has now discovered that the previous PA made accounting mistakes and he is now demanding we pay over £1, 000 over two months. Due to our financial circumstances we can't afford this. I offered him £50 a month, but he won't accept this. As the accounting errors were not my fault, does he have the right to demand I pay at all? And can he demand I pay such large amounts? I would have to sell my car which means I would be unable to go for interviews?
Thank you, Misty
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

If you accept that these were genuine accounting errors then you are liable for this cost. However they cannot simply demand and expect to enforce payment over an unreasonable period.

There is no reason why your insurance company should not pay this if it was in respect of the treatment which was covered by insurance.

If it is not covered by insurance for some reason and you pay it, I will tell you how to deal with that. If the insurance company in your opinion are liable for this, and they simply will not pay, then make a complaint to the fails, make a further complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Ultimately you are liable for this, paid £50 per month and ignore the protestations. It is likely, even if they issued court proceedings straightaway, that this would not be in court for probably 10 or 12 months by which stage you would have already paid back half of the money and the court are then unlikely to make any order than to pay the £50 per month back continuing until the debt is extinguished.

They did take it to court based upon the circumstances here it is possible that the court would say they are being completely unreasonable and award costs against the doctor even costs are not routinely awarded in the Small Claims Court.

Just keep paying £50.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please do not forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which we experts get paid. We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes


F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8963
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice